I am writing to you regarding the possible name change of Gene Stipe Boulevard. First off, let me say that I don’t understand people so interested in having their own way that they would spend our tax dollars for such a petty and ridiculous cause. The best I can tell, to change the name would entail having to change about half a dozen signs and with the city maps and phone books, a thousand or more maps. The city is struggling financially anyway and does not need to worry about the cost involved to change all the required signage and literature that would be involved.
Also, I feel the need to mention all of the businesses that have cards and stationery that would have to be reprinted. This could also be very confusing for all the traffic that we get from our surrounding states and all of the people that come from out of town for the prison rodeo and use Gene Stipe Boulevard as their primary route to the prison.
I feel that to change this street would be utter chaos and to do so because a handful of people are so small-minded that they cannot stand to have things any other way than their own is absolutely senseless. Please raise your voice against this nonsense and keep Gene Stipe Boulevard rightly named.
This Week's Circulars
Clara Helen (Anderson) Caver, of Ft. Worth, Texas, formerly of McAlester passed away on April 17, 2021. Services will be held Sat. April 24 at 10 a.m. at Cedar Hill Memorial Park in Arlington, TX.
Jerrold "Jerry" Wayne Perteet, 71, of McAlester, passed away Saturday, April 17, 2021. Viewing will be Thursday until 5:00 p.m. and Friday until 8:00 p.m. at Brumley-Mills Funeral Home. A service celebrating his incredible life will be held Saturday, April 24, at 10:00 a.m. at the First Unit…
James W. Murrin, 88, of Indianola, passed away on Thursday at St. John Medical Center in Tulsa. Arrangements are pending with Brumley-Mills Funeral Home in McAlester.
Bobby Logsdon, 69, of Tannehill died Friday in Tulsa. The family will greet relatives and friends 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Monday at Bishop Funeral Service and Crematory. A funeral service will be held 2:00 p.m. Tuesday at Bishop Chapel of Memories. Burial will follow at Tannehill Cemetery.
- OSP inmate indicted in international drug ring bust
- RAMBLIN ROUND: Buffalo Springfield: Beginning enduring musical careers
- 'This is justice': McAlester law enforcement, residents react to Chauvin trial verdicts
- McAlester getting $1 million to help with COVID relief
- Sizemore charged in federal court for death of daughter
- Tribe's public safety director details cross-deputizaion
- 5 THINGS TO KNOW: What happens after a charge is dismissed due to McGirt?
- Charge dismissed in 2019 murder case
- Sentencing hearing scheduled in Hartshorne embezzlement case
- Pittsburg County District Court criminal filings - April 12-16, 2021