More candidates have filed for municipal offices in Pittsburg County, with candidates filing for open offices in Hartshorne, Haileyville, Alderson and Quinton.
• Haileyville — Brian Mathis filed for the chief of police’s post in Haileyville, writing his name as he wants it on the election ballot as Brian Mathis Captain Crunch, election officials said. Mathis is set to join fellow candidates Danny Karr and Gary Wayne Young in a race to fill the office left vacant by the November resignation of former Haileyville Police Chief David Johnston
Two candidates so far are seeking for the vacant Ward 5 seat on the McAlester City Council.
Billy Jack Boatright, of 810 E. Park Ave., and Jeremy David Thomas, of 212 E. Mill Ave., are both candidates for the vacant Ward 5 city council seat in McAlester.
The seat became open when then-Ward 5 City Councilor Buddy Garvin resigned in December. Garvin resigned following a dispute over whether the city of McAlester should pay damages for a vehicle damaged by a city employee operating construction equipment, who moved the vehicle while searching for underground pipes, according to statements made during a December council meeting.
Other candidates who have filed for municipal offices in Pittsburg Country include:
• Alderson — Chuck Courts filed for election to the Ward 2 town trustee seat in Alderson. Sheila Martin filed for election to a four-year term as town treasurer.
• Haileyville — Jimmy Murray, the city’s acting mayor, filed for election to the office left vacant by the resignation of then-Mayor Brandon Robertson in November.
Also in Haileyville, Katie Young filed for reelection to the post of Haileyville city clerk and Donna Pingleton is running for the Ward 1 city council seat.
• Hartshorne — Lisa Brown filed for reelection to the post of Hartshorne city clerk and Lauren Fry Miller filed for an unexpired term in the Ward 3 city council seat.
In other Hartshorne filings, current Ward 1 Hartshorne City Councilor Ashley Faulkner is a candidate for a four-year term for the mayor’s office held by Joy Cline. Cline is serving an unexpired term in the mayor’s seat that became open after former Mayor Leon Mace resigned from the office
Destiny Voegele is running for the Ward 1 Council seat currently held by Faulkner. Voegele is a former Hartshorne city councilor who also perviously served as city treasurer under her name at the time, Destiny French.
Also, Gary Ina Young filed for reelection to his Ward 4 seat on the Hartshorne City Council.
• Krebs — Jason Wagnon is a candidate for the Ward 3 office on the Krebs City Council. Bobby Watkins filed for re-election to the Krebs mayor’s post.
• Quinton — Taunya Towers filed for a seat on the town trustee board, joining Jimmy R. Boyd who filed as Quinton town trustee candidate early Monday.
• Savanna — Town Clerk Norma Deaton filed for reelection to the Savanna town clerk’s post.
Also, Coy Holt filed for a seat on the Board of Trustees in Savanna. Chad Graham filed for the Ward 3 seat on the city of Savanna Board of Trustees.
After the filing period at the Pittsburg County Election Board office ends at 5 p.m. Wednesday, candidates will have until 5 p.m. Friday to either have their names stricken from the ballot or to protest the candidacy of an opponent.
Offices with more than one candidate seeking the post will run for office during the April 2 municipal elections.
Contact James Beaty by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.