Friday is the deadline for those who need to register to vote in the upcoming municipal elections in four Pittsburg County communities, as well as in a school board run-off election.

The April 7 municipal elections will be held in Hartshorne, Haileyville, Krebs and Kiowa, along with a runoff for a school board seat in Haileyville.

In the Haileyville municipal election, Alan Epps and Danny Karr will face each other for an unexpired term as police chief. The run-off election in the Haileyville school district has Jimmy J. Stewart Sr. and Paul N. Tucker facing each other for a seat on the school board.

In Hartshorne, John Price and Charles E. Green Jr. are running for the Ward 1 council seat.

At Kiowa, Lena Heron and Cara Cole are running for the city treasurer’s office. Joemae Peck and Sherry Owen are running for city clerk.

Also in Kiowa, Jimmy Wayne Brown and Donald Betts are running for the Ward 1 city council seat. Ned E. Nagle and Sherry Stone are running for the Ward 3 seat in Kiowa. Danny Drake and Mary Cearly are seeking the city council seat in Ward 4.

In Krebs, Tammi Garcia and Avie Heathcock are running for the city treasurer’s post. Brandon DeFrange and Woody Coplen are running for the Ward 2 city council seat. David Bailey and Eugene Haas are running for the Ward 4 seat on the Krebs city council.

Anyone who is a United States citizen, an Oklahoma resident and at least 18 may apply to become a registered voter in time for the April 7 elections.

Some who are already registered may need to change their voter registration because of a name change or because of a change in address.

All applicants need to apply in writing. A voter registration application form must be completed and mailed in time for it to be postmarked no later than midnight on Friday, said Pittsburg County Election Board Secretary Cathy Thornton.

The application forms are available at the Pittsburg County Election Board office in Suite 106 of the Professional Building at 10 E. Washington Ave.

Forms are also available at motor license agencies, public assistance agencies, armed forces recruitment office and agencies serving the disabled, Thornton said.

Anyone needing more information can contact the county election board at 423-3877.

Contact James Beaty at

Trending Video

Recommended for you