National Teacher Appreciation Week begins on Monday and most of the nation’s schools will be doing special activities all throughout the week as a way to say “thank you” to teachers who play a critical role in educating and shaping children for the future.
McAlester Public Schools’ Parent Teacher Organizations have decided to show appreciation all week for the district’s teachers by hosting special lunches, serving desserts and more.
Amy Oxner, of McAlester, is a first-grade teacher at Emerson Elementary School and has been an educator for 12 years. Oxner became the Emerson Elementary School Parent Teacher Organization’s secretary after her daughter began attending the school recently and said the PTO feels teachers deserve to be honored throughout this week as a token of their appreciation.
“For most teachers, the greatest reward for their job is seeing students thrive and succeed and more often than not, teachers do much more than work inside the classroom,” Oxner said. “They can be mentors, coaches and sounding boards for our kids.”
Oxner said as a teacher, she is thankful for the support of the MPS administration and the community.
“I am so thankful for all the support that our administration, parents and community has shown,” Oxner said. “Please take a moment to thank a teacher in your present or past that has made a difference in your life.”
Emerson Elementary School Principal Jamie Price said she feels grateful for her hardworking teachers and is excited about this week’s upcoming events.
“Our teachers work so hard and love these students,” Price said. “Our school would not be successful without every person that works here—they are all apart of our great team.”
PTO teacher appreciation week events
Monday, May 7
• Emerson Elementary — PTO will provide a yogurt breakfast bar, a ten-minute shoulder and neck chair massages by McAlester Wellness Center Massage Therapist Misti Adam.
• Edmond Doyle Elementary — PTO will provide lunch, snow cones and t-shirts all week
• Will Rogers Elementary — PTO purchased appreciation t-shirts for all teachers and support staff to wear during the week
Tuesday, May 8
• Emerson Elementary — PTO will provide Bahama Dawn’s snow cones, a 10-minute shoulder and neck chair massages by McAlester Wellness Center Massage Therapist Misti Adam, Mexican food luncheon hosted by Emerson’s Hispanic parents
• Will Rogers Elementary — PTO will provide Italian lunch
Wednesday, May 9
• Emerson Elementary — PTO will provide ten-minute shoulder and neck chair massages by McAlester Wellness Center Massage Therapist Misti Adam, dessert bar hosted by Emerson parents
• Puterbaugh Elementary School — PTO is providing lunch from 11:45 to 1 p.m.
Thursday, May 10
• William Gay Elementary — PTO will provide lunch
• Emerson Elementary School — “Nacho Average Teacher” Day nacho bar hosted by Emerson Support Staff
• Will Rogers Elementary — PTO will be providing snow cones from Bahama Dawn’s at 1 p.m., Mexican Food luncheon hosted by Will Rogers’ Hispanic parents
• Parker Intermediate Center — PTO is providing lunch at 11:30 a.m.
Friday, May 11
• Emerson Elementary School —PTO will provide Billy’s Sims BBQ lunch
MPS Superintendent Randy Hughes said he is also thankful for the teachers’ hard work and dedication to the district and it is important to remind teachers their hard work does not go unnoticed.
“I am thankful for the teachers we have,” Hughes said. “Their hard work and dedication is making a difference in the lives of our kids.”
For more information contact MPS at 918-423-4771.
Contact Lacey Sudderth at firstname.lastname@example.org