Hokit Photo

Quinton pulled off a bounce back win against Dewar's Junior Varsity team Thursday night. 

Quinton engaged in back-and-forth football with Dewar’s junior varsity team Thursday.

The Savages (5-1) were the lone local small school team to win this week in a 54-42 victory.

Senior Haven Barnes got Quinton’s first score of the night with 6:08 to play in the first quarter, but he failed when trying to run it in for the two-point conversion.

Dewar’s JV team and Quinton traded touchdowns after Barnes’ first score, but junior Dakota Gragg ran for a 15-yard score and Barnes ran it in for two with 6:37 left in the first half. That was the first of three unanswered touchdowns Quinton would post. Barnes had a 48-yard score with 6:28 to play and a 21-yard run score with 2:59 remaining in the first half. The Savages successfully converted for two both times.

The Dragons came roaring back, however, posting three consecutive touchdowns of their own. Quinton trailed, 42-38, with 5:29 left to play.

However, the Savages escaped when Barnes had the game-winning touchdown run for five yards with 3:49 remaining and Barnes ran it in for two. Barnes then ran it for another touchdown. This time it was for 29 yards with 2:09 left. Quinton passed for two, and that brought the game to its final score of 54-42.

Barnes carried the ball 30 times for 374 rushing yards and six touchdowns. Only Gragg had the other score for Quinton. Barnes also had a passing play, going 1-of-1 for 15 yards. Freshman Owen Nicholson was Quinton’s quarterback this week. He was 1-of-1 passing for 12 yards.


The Cougars (5-2, 1-1) trailed, 7-0, when junior Tyler King’s opening kickoff was returned for a 68-yard touchdown the first 10 seconds into it. Weleetka failed on the two-point conversion.

Junior Carson Thompson had the equalizer to sophomore Jake Brewster for a 25-yard score with 6:15 remaining in the first quarter. Canadian failed to take the lead when Thompson passed to sophomore Spencer Smith and the Cougars were unsuccessful when trying for two.

That’s the closest Canadian would get to having the lead, however. The Cougars allowed six consecutive touchdowns, and 32 points in the second quarter. Canadian got the last score of the game when Thompson found Brewer for the second time. This time it was a 41-yard touchdown with 3:39 to go in the game. Junior Riley Burns converted for two.

Thompson is oftentimes a dual threat quarterback, and even though he was 20-of-33 passing for 272 yards and two touchdowns, both to Brewster, the Outlaws held Thompson to negative rushing yards to the tune of negative-7 yards on 16 carries. Burns was the leading rusher on five carries for 30 yards. Brewster caught six passes for 119 yards to go along with his two scores, while junior Terrell Crawford had seven receptions on 91 yards.


The Diggers (2-5, 1-3) fell in this District 2A-6 matchup. Wilburton trailed, 39-0, after three quarters. However, the Diggers scored 22 points in the fourth quarter compared to just six points for the Ironheads in the final quarter. Freshman quarterback Grayson Mathis was 6-of-10 passing for 100 yards, two touchdowns against one interception. Mathis did have negative yardage, -38 yards on nine carries. Senior Tanner Arnold ran the ball 14 times for 79 yards rushing and one score. Arnold also had a 69-yard touchdown reception and freshman Jason Justice also caught a score.


The Bulldogs (2-4, 1-2) dropped a 30-point loss in this District A-8 matchup. Junior Clay Wageman ran the ball 20 times for 75 yards, but the Bulldogs made some changes in the passing game Friday. Senior quarterback Jarron Smith was 0-of-5 passing, which led to a change. Junior Chase Wood was 2-of-8 passing with one touchdown and one interception, as sophomore Cayden McElhaney had a 30-yard touchdown reception


The Miners (2-5, 1-3) have now lost three in a row in District 2A-6 play.

They were outscored, 24-0, in the first quarter and 28-6 in the second quarter. Hartshorne allowed five scores before it first got on the board. Sophomore Javen Shaw ran for a seven-yard touchdown to give the Miners their first points of the game. Shaw finished the night with 83 yards on eight carries to go along with his touchdown. Freshman quarterback Bryson Cervantes tried to run in a two-point conversion, but was unsuccessful. The Bulldogs would tack on twice more before the break at the half.

Hartshorne did, however, outscore Valliant in the second half, 20-8. Cervantes was 3-of-18 passing for 57 yards and an interception, but he was the leading rusher of the game for the Miners, breaking free for 90 yards on 12 carries and two touchdowns. His first score was for 34 yards and the second for eight yards. Cervantes passed to senior Weston Montgomery for two after the 34-yard touchdown. 

The Miners allowed a 67-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter, the last time the Bulldogs scored, and Valliant also went for two and converted. Hartshorne got the final touchdown on the night when freshman Dallas Colbert went off the races for a 76-yard touchdown. Hartshorne tried, but did not convert for two after Colbert's score. 


The Golden Tigers (2-5, 1-3) were unable to secure a win in this District A-8 matchup Friday.