Tip of the week: Failure to devote full attention while driving a motor vehicle is against the law. The fine for this is $172.
The McAlester Police Department is currently investigating a robbery involving two suspects who followed a man home when he left the casino and robbed him of his winnings. This could happen to any one of us, whether we just left the casino or any other business in town.
Here are just a few tips that could help prevent this from happening.
• First, always be aware of your surroundings. Many of us get so preoccupied with our cell phones or what we are doing and don’t pay attention to what is going on around us. Be observant of your surroundings and people around you.
• If you see something suspicious or something that makes you uneasy, tell someone, or contact security or police.
• If you are walking to your car, always carry your keys in your hand, in case you need to use them as a weapon.
• If you notice someone following you while walking to your car, don’t panic, take a deep breath and continue to walk or even run to your car or where other people are. If the person calls out or speaks to you, do not talk to them and keep walking.
• Don’t hesitate to dial 911 if you feel it is necessary.
• If someone follows you while driving, get a tag number if possible, and vehicle description. Call the police or drive to the police station.
None of these tips are a 100-percent guarantee that you will not be a victim, but taking some of these precautions could prevent you from putting yourself in a situation where this could happen.
We are currently looking for Richard “Rocky” Blackmon and Toni Fourkiller. We have felony warrants on both subjects for first degree robbery. If anybody has any information on where these two subjects are, please call the McAlester Police Department at 918-423-1212 or the McAlester Police Department’s Criminal Investigations Division at 918-421-4917 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To schedule a Neighborhood Watch meeting or other safety program, contact officer Jeremy Busby at 918-423-9657 or by email at email@example.com.
Hope everybody has a safe week and don’t forget to buckle up!
Det. Sgt. Morris is the public information officer for McAlester Police Department. Contact him at 918-423-1212 or firstname.lastname@example.org.