The Outcome - June 2012
Due to the fact that felony cases in June 2013 are new filings, the outcomes of those cases could not be determined. However, the News-Capital checked the final outcome of the felony case filings in June 2012 and here is what was found:
• There were 12 felony charges and/or cases dismissed. One of these dismissals occurred after the cases were refiled as misdemeanors.
• There were 10 felony charges or cases that defendants pleaded guilty or no contest and sentencing was deferred.
• There were 11 felony charges or cases that defendants pleaded guilty or no contest and received suspended sentencing.
• Eight of the felony cases in June 2012 are still pending. Four are theft cases, two are drug cases, one is a child crime and drug case and one is an assault / inmate crime case.
• Six of the June 2012 defendants were ordered to complete District 18 Drug Court. These all occurred in drug cases and in one of those cases the defendant was also charged with felony crime against a child. Typically, if drug court is successfully completed, the charges are dismissed. However, if drug court is not successfully completed, the defendant is sentenced to serve prison time.
• There were eight felony charges or cases in June 2012 in which defendants pleaded guilty and received prison or jail time.
1) One was sentenced to seven years.
2) One was sentenced to 10 years, with the last three years suspended.
3) One was sentenced to 20 years, with the last 15 years suspended.
4) One was sentenced to six years, with the last four years suspended.
5) Another was sentenced to six years, with the last four years suspended.
6) One was sentenced to 10 years, with all but the first 115 days suspended.
7) One was sentenced to five years, with all but the first 38 days suspended.
8) One was sentenced to five years, with all but the first 30 days suspended.
Information on felony case filings in Pittsburg County District Court is public record and can be obtained at the courthouse at 122 E. Carl Albert Parkway in McAlester.
Contact Rachel Petersen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more on this story, see the print or electronic editions of the McAlester News-Capital. Click here for print edition home delivery or click here to see the Smart Edition for your computer, tablet, e-reader or smart phone.