By Greg Owen
The Pittsburg County 4-H Craft Contest will be held with the 4-H Yeast Bread Baking Contest on Saturday, March 29, at Frink-Chambers School at 1 p.m. This contest will consist of small articles made in the 4-H Leisure Education and Cultural Arts projects. No county fair exhibits will be allowed from the 2013 County Fair, but these entries may be entered in the 2014 County Fair.
Each entry must have exhibitor’s name, age and club attached to entry in some way. Exhibits must be permanently signed and dated in an inconspicuous location, if size and material permit. Ceramics should be signed before firing.
This contest is for all 4-H members ages 5-19. Age is determined as of Jan. 1, 2014. Age divisions for this contest include Cloverbuds (ages 5-8), junior (ages 9-13) and senior (ages 14+).
For the purposes of this contest please follow the categories for allowed entries; entries should fit in one of the 26 categories available. Cloverbuds will receive participant ribbons. Junior entries will be judged against all other junior entries and the same rule will apply for the senior division.
Please limit one entry per class per member. The classes for the contest are as follows:
1. Fine art, pencil, charcoal, ink.
2. Fine art, watercolor.
3. Fine art, oil or acrylic.
4. Ceramics, glazed (maximum of one piece).
5. Ceramics, stained (maximum of one piece).
6. Pottery, original design made from clay using a process of hand molding on a potter’s wheel.
7. Print Process Article, block printing and other printing methods.
8. Decorative Textile Craft, silk-screening, stenciling, textile painting, batik, tie dye.
9. Nature Craft, article made from natural materials including weaving or basket-making.
10. Bead Craft Article.
11. Leather-craft, Kit.
12. Leather-craft, original design.
13. Hand Crafted Wax Candle.
14. Hand Crafted Gel Candle.
15. Fabric Craft, needle art (hand embroidery, cross-stitch, needlepoint in crewel embroidery.
16. Fabric Craft, item decorated with machine embroidery.
17. Fabric Craft, hand quilted and or appliqued.
18. Fabric Craft, machine quilted and or appliqued.
19. Fabric Craft, knitted or crocheted.
20. Fabric Craft, doll or animal.
21. Creative Textile Craft Article, made only from techniques of weaving, latch-hook, braiding, and/or a combination of these techniques.
23. Paper Craft.
24. Plastic Craft, includes but not limited to Lego Art.
25. Duct Tape Craft.
26. Miscellaneous (limited to items that cannot be entered in any other class).
Please be aware that some of the classes may change between the time of this contest and the county fair so therefore, some of these classes may no longer exist at county fair time and there may be some new classes added by the county fair book publication.
For more information about this and other 4-H events and activities, please give us a call at the office at 918-423-4120 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Greg Owen is the 4-H Extension educator for Pittsburg County.