By Greg Owen
OSU Extension Educator
The 4-H Yeast Bread Baking Contest has been set for Saturday, March 29th at 1 p.m. at Frink-Chambers School. Age groups for this event include Clover-buds (ages 5-8 years old) and are non-competitive; Junior (ages 9-13), and Senior (ages 14+). Ages for this contest are determined as of Jan. 1, 2014.
General rules for the contest include the following:
1. A completed entry form must accompany each exhibit, along with complete recipe on an index card.
2. Entries must be prepared and baked by the person entering the item.
3. No quick breads; all items must contain yeast.
4. All baking to be done in conventional oven; cannot be made in a bread baking machine.
5. All breads will be made from scratch; no mixes.
6. Members can enter only one exhibit in each category.
7. Bread should be entered on a disposable plate covered with see-though wrap or placed in a zipper closure bag.
8. Exhibits consist of one whole loaf or three rolls.
9. To help promote the visibility of the county 4-H program and its members, champion entries will be kept and shared with the county elected officials and media outlets.
Categories for the contest include White Bread, Whole Wheat Bread, Other Grain Bread, Dinner Rolls, and Specialty Breads (including sweet breads).
For more information about this and other 4-H events and activities, please give us a call at the office at 918-423-4120 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Greg Owen is the 4-H Extension educator for Pittsburg County.