McAlester News-Capital, McAlester, OK

March 20, 2014

High-speed pursuit lands man before court judge

By Cass Rains, Staff Writer
Enid News and Eagle

ENID, Okla. — A man who led five law enforcement agencies on a high-speed pursuit Saturday night was arraigned Thursday after an often contentious hearing in Garfield County District Court.

Michael Allen Clark, 31, appeared via video from Garfield County Detention Facility before Special District Judge Brian Lovell.

Clark was charged with felony attempting to elude a police officer in relation to the chase. He also appeared on a felony charge of failure to register as a sex offender and a misdemeanor case of driving under revocation and obstruction.

Clark also had an application to revoke a suspended sentence in a 2003 case for second-degree rape.

Clark’s appearance Thursday was manic, with him pleading with the judge for a lower bond, then cursing the court and disputing facts of the charges.

At times, Clark would have outbursts and would curse the court. He would then immediately apologize.

“I’m actually a good kid,” Clark told Lovell. “It was my fault and my mistake.”

When Lovell asked if Clark was making a guilty plea to the charges related to the chase, Clark changed his position.

“I didn’t say I was guilty,” Clark said, “I said I was in the wrong.”

He then took issue with bond in his cases, with one set at $150,000.

Clark told the judge, “I don’t understand how all these documents are untrue. That’s what’s bothering me.”

After more than 15 minutes of Clark arguing with the court, his mother asked the judge to be allowed to address her son.

“Sit down and shut up,” she said. “That’s your whole problem, you won’t shut up.”

Despite her remonstrations, Clark continued to argue with the court, then said he had a “disorder” that caused his outbursts. Clark explained he had “explosive anger disorder” and had not been getting needed medication.

Following his appearance, Clark’s mother asked the court to conduct a competency hearing. Lovell said he would issue the order.

According to an affidavit filed in relation to the pursuit, Enid Police Department officers were searching Saturday for Clark on outstanding arrest warrants.

Officers had information Clark would be at a residence in the 700 block of East Oklahoma and was driving a green Pontiac Grand Am.

Officers saw the Pontiac turn south on 8th from Oklahoma and accelerate quickly, according to the affidavit. The Pontiac led Enid officers into Kingfisher and Major counties.

Officers from Garfield County Sheriff’s Office, Oklahoma Highway Patrol, Waukomis and Lahoma police departments also were involved the pursuit.

Officers lost Clark’s vehicle and the pursuit stopped on Sumner Road, near the intersection of Michael Road. Clark fled from the area on foot and the search was called off after officers canvassed the area, according to the affidavit.

Clark was taken into custody Sunday morning about a mile south of a drilling operation after Clark requested a ride.

According to an affidavit filed with the charge of failure to register as a sex offender, Enid Police Department Sgt. Dustin Albright attempted to contact Clark at 1809 E. Birch, the last address he registered with the department in September 2013.

On three consecutive days, Jan. 14, 15 and 16, Albright visited the residence, which appeared abandoned. Albright spoke with the owner of the home, who said she evicted the residents at the first of the month. She also said she did not know who Clark was and he was not supposed to be living there.

The charges for obstruction and driving under revocation stem from a March 5 traffic stop in the 200 block of East Maine. According to that affidavit, Clark provided a false year of birth to a deputy during a traffic stop and was released from a scene.

Prosecutors also filed an application to revoke a suspended sentence in a 2003 second-degree rape case. According to online court records, Clark pleaded guilty March 8, 2006, and received a 10-year sentence with two years to serve and eight years suspended.

Clark is being held in lieu of $200,000 bond: $150,000 bond for the eluding charge, $7,000 bond on the sex offender registry charge, $3,000 on the misdemeanor and $40,000 on the application to revoke.

Clark was ordered to return to court April 16 on the application and April 21 on the three new cases.