- National News
New stamp honors famous postage goof
Tiny works of art, postage stamps tell the stories of our country and our world. And now there's a new stamp that tells the story of a postal mishap that happened in 1918.
VIDEO: Europeans demand answers on NSA spy allegations
Anger toward the U.S. among European allies grew Monday along with new revelations about American surveillance. Meanwhile, European lawmakers were in Washington, Monday demanding answers.
Monsanto bets $5 million in Washington State fight over altered food
Monsanto Co. and DuPont Co., among the biggest makers of bioengineered crop seeds, are persuading Washington state voters to change their minds about a proposal to require labels on genetically modified food.
VIDEO: Hearing exposes health care website failures
Key contractors on the troubled Healthcare.gov website told Congress Thursday the government failed to fully test the site before it went live. Still, they insist the bugs can be fixed and won't prevent uninsured Americans from getting coverage.
Families of teen, baby crushed by tree awarded $3.7 million
A jury awarded $3.7 million to the families of a 17-year-old girl and her unborn baby who were killed when they were crushed by a tree at a public housing complex in central Kentucky.
- PHOTOS: Community mourns teacher killed by 14-year-old student Students at Danvers High School in Massachusetts return to campus Thursday to mourn the loss of math teacher Colleen Ritzer, who police said was killed by 14-year-old student Philip Chism.
Students, friends shocked by teacher's murder
Teensagers, parents and teachers in this Boston suburb held a vigil Wednesday night for the 24-year-old high school math teacher murdered the day before. One of her students - a 14-year-old boy who recently arrived from Tennessee - has been charged with first-degree murder.
EDITORIALS: Government's true colors; A graying population
If you’d asked Americans a couple of weeks ago to name their most hated federal agency, we doubt that the National Park Service would be high on the list. Today, many Americans rightly see many park service employees as a group of thugs. | A new report reveals that nations are simply not working quickly enough to cope with a graying population. By 2050, for the first time in history, seniors older than 60 will outnumber children younger than 15.
Increasing numbers of Americans are catching on to Congress
A new NBC-Wall Street Journal poll says 60 percent of Americans would like to fire everyone in Congress. When I read this, my thought was: What’s wrong with the other 40 percent?
Memorial to Sherman's march missing from Georgia city
A historical marker recalling a visit by Gen. William T. Sherman and his army, as he set out on his destructive March to the Sea, is curiously missing from this former Georgia capital.
- More National News Headlines
- New stamp honors famous postage goof