By Matt Goisman
McALESTER — The 2013 Hartshorne Miners made it all the way to the Class 2A semifinals, accomplishing what no Hartshorne team had done since 1991. Running back Dallas Herring provided much of the Miner’s offense and defensive lineman Cody Ward anchored the team’s defense.
With the All-District 2A-6 list released last week, both players have been honored for their contributions. Herring was named Offensive Player of the Year, and Ward was named Defensive Lineman of the Year.
Eight other Miners were also named to the All-District First Team. Dylan Pingleton was named a First Team quarterback, and Troy Ray was named a First Team receiver.
Braxton Curliss was named to the First Team Offensive Line. Jarod Holt and Tom Irish were both named to the First Team Defensive Line.
Marcus Morris was named a First Team Linebacker, and Ryan Reddick was named a First Team Defensive Back. Troy Medicine Bear rounded out the list as Hartshorne’s Newcomer of the Year.
Wilburton starting quarterback and linebacker Cade Fite was the only Digger to make the All-District team.
Other major awards from District 2A-6:
• Most Valuable Player: Rylee Simon, Vian
• Offensive Back of the Year: Eric Casey, Vian
• Receiver of the Year: Kyle Highley, Pocola
• Offensive Lineman of the Year: Ryan Farrar, Panama
• Defensive Player of the Year: Zach Speer, Antlers
• Linebacker of the Year: Gabe Harp, Panama
• Defensive Back of the Year: Shamal Evans, Vian
• Special Teams Player of the Year: Trey Johnson, Hugo
• Newcomer of the Year: Tanner Brown, Antlers
• Injured Player of the Year: Andre English, Vian
• Coach of the Year: Brandon Tyler, Vian
Vian won District 2A-6 with a 6-0 district record, advancing to the Class 2A semifinals and finishing 13-1 overall. Hartshorne finished second in the district with a 5-1 district record and finished 11-3 overall.
Wilburton went 0-10 during the season and finished last in the district.
Contact Matt Goisman at firstname.lastname@example.org.