By James Beaty
McALESTER — More candidates have filed for office in several local communities, with the filing period now closed for candidates for municipal offices in seven towns and cities in Pittsburg County.
Municipal offices were open for filing for election in Alderson, Haileyville, Hartshorne, Kiowa, Krebs, Quinton and Savanna. Municipalities where more than one candidate filed for a an office include Haileyville, Hartshorne and Kiowa.
An election is set for April 2. In races where candidates had no opponent, the candidates will automatically take office unless they withdraw or there is some other change prior to the 5 p.m. Friday deadline.
Municipalities where candidates have filed for office and the positions they are seeking are: • Alderson — Terryl McCoy filed for the office of town clerk. Jason Rodriguez filed for the town trustee board seat in Ward 1 and Marvin Hammons filed for the Ward 3 trustee seat.
• Haileyville — Both Valarie Bristo and Tina L. Tucker filed for the post of clerk/treasurer. A race is also set in Ward 4A, with Lynette Boren-Price and Regina Peoples filing for the office. Danny Karr filed for Ward 1A council seat and Loy Maddox for the Ward 3A office.
• Harthsorne — A race is set for the unexpired Ward 3 city council seat between Nathan Sparks and William Roger Bill Windham. Shirley Day remained unopposed for city treasurer and Eddie M. Kelly for the Ward 3 council seat.
• Kiowa — JoMae Peck filed for the Kiowa town clerk’s office, while Coleene Lewis filed for an unexpired treasurer’s term. Floyd Ray Goss and Ned Naugle are in a race for an unexpired term in the Ward 4 town trustee seat. Donald Batts filed for town trustee in Ward 1. Robert Kenneth Burgett filed for the Ward 3 trustee seat and James Ryan filed for town trustee in Ward 5.
• Krebs — Sherri Bailey filed for the office of city clerk/treasurer. Connie Poole filed for the Ward 2 city council seat and Daulfin Bennett filed for the Ward 4 post.
• Quinton — Charlene Cass filed for the position of town clerk/ treasurer. James Stockton and Marvin Ginn filed for the two at-large positions on the town trustee board.
• Savanna — John Nelson filed for the Ward 2 seat on the town trustee board. Robbye Watts filed for the town treasurer’s post.
Anyone needing additional information can contact the Pittsburg County Election Board office at 918-423-3877.
Contact James Beaty at jbeaty@mcalesternews. com.
For more on this story, see the print or electronic editions of the McAlester News-Capital. Click here for print edition home delivery or click here to see the Smart Edition for your computer, tablet, e-reader or smartphone.