By Jeanne LeFlore
With Halloween just around the corner, there’s lots to do in McAlester and the area.
• Friday night from 4:30 to 9 p.m., the First Methodist Church at South 13th Street and McArthur Avenue will host a benefit Pumpkin Patch.
For $7, a child will receive a pumpkin, hot dog, pop and unlimited pony rides, hayrides and play time on inflatable toys. An outdoor movie will also be shown. A $6 chili dinner will also be available.
• Friday and Saturday, the Headless Horseman, Dracula, and the werewolf are all set to appear during the Robbers Cave Haunted Hayride on State Highway 2 North, northwest of Wilburton. Three different wagons will be running throughout the night for a 30-minute ride. The cost is $4 and proceeds will benefit Latimer County 4-H.
• Saturday, the Great Pumpkin Patch is set at the parking lot of Family Video, at 1309 E. Wade Watts Blvd. The all-day event is a fundraiser for the Hope House women’s shelter and will include face painting, a bounce house, photo opportunities and a bake sale.
• Saturday at 4:30 p.m. on Choctaw Avenue, it’s the Trick or Treat Party in the Street, McAlester’s annual downtown Halloween carnival.
The Trick or Treat Party in the Street is a fundraiser for McAlester Main Street and organizers say the party will have attractions such as carnival booths, indoor bingo, a cakewalk, fortune teller booth, pumpkin decorating contest, raffle, pet parade, costume contest, Trunk or Treat and performances by the McAlester High School pom and cheer squads.
The cost to enter the pet parade and costume contest is $10 and is a fundraiser for Central Bark McAlester’s new dog park. The lineup begins at 3:30 p.m. at the corner of Main Street and Carl Albert Parkway. Register pets at prideinmcalester.com or call 918-426-4444.
• Saturday, the Bugtussle Volunteer Fire Department is hosting a free Halloween party starting at 5:30 p.m. at 2295 Flowery Mounds Road with hot dogs, candy and inflatable toys.
• Saturday night, the City of McAlester is sponsoring a free movie in the park at Chadick Park starting at 8. Saturday’s movie will be Monsters Inc. Those planning to attend should bring folding chairs and blankets.
Contact Jeanne LeFlore at firstname.lastname@example.org.