The Outcome - March 2012
Due to the fact that felony cases in March 2013 are new filings, the outcomes of those cases could not be determined. However, the News-Capital checked the final outcome of the felony case filings for March 2012 and here is what was found:
• There were 18 felony charges and/or cases dismissed. Two of those dismissals occurred after the cases were refiled as misdemeanors and one of the cases, an assault case, was dismissed because the defendant died. One other case was dismissed because federal charges were expected to be filed.
• There were 13 felony charges or cases that defendants pleaded guilty or no contest and sentencing was deferred.
• There were 10 felony charges or cases that defendants pleaded guilty or no contest and received suspended sentencing.
• There were two felony charges or cases that defendants pleaded guilty and received prison or jail time. One received a 10-year sentence, with the last seven years suspended, in a theft/burglary case and one received a 16-year sentence, with the last 10 years suspended, in a drug- or alcohol- related case.
• Five of the felony cases in March 2013 are still pending. Three are cases involving crimes against children and two are theft cases.
• Three of the defendants were ordered to complete District 18 Drug Court. This occurred in a drug case, a theft case and a case involving crime against children. Typically, if drug court is successfully completed, the charges are dismissed. However, if drug court is not successfully completed, the defendant is sentenced to serve prison time.
Information on felony case filings in Pittsburg County District Court is public record and can be obtained at the courthouse at 122 E. Carl Albert Parkway in McAlester.
Contact Rachel Petersen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more on this story, see the print or electronic editions of the McAlester News-Capital. Click here for print edition home delivery or click here to see the Smart Edition for your computer, tablet, e-reader or smart phone.