The Breakdown - March 2012
• Drug and/or Alcohol — Of the 49 people charged with felony counts, 22 were charged with drug- or alcohol- related charges. This category includes driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, manufacturing methamphetamine, possession of drugs (methamphetamine, marijuana, cocaine, Lortab, Xanax, Oxycodone, Dextroamphetamine), possession of drugs with intent to distribute near a school or park, distribution of drugs, trafficking in illegal drugs, possession of drugs in front of minors and providing alcohol to a person younger than 21. Half of these cases ended in deferred sentencing. Four of the cases were dismissed, five people received suspended sentence, one person was ordered to complete drug court and one person received a 16-year prison sentence, with 10 years suspended.
• Theft — Of the 49 people charged, 14 were charged with theft. This category includes grand larceny, forgery, embezzlement, automobile theft, false declaration of ownership in pawn, theft from a retailer, possession of stolen property or concealing stolen property and taking or receiving stolen credit or debit cards. Of these cases, four were dismissed and two are still pending. One defendant, who was also charged with burglary, received a 10-year prison sentence, with the last seven years suspended. One was ordered to complete drug court and the remaining defendants received deferred or suspended sentencing.
• Assault — Of the 49 people charged, five were charged with felony assault charges. This category includes domestic assault, aggravated assault, domestic strangulation, assault with a dangerous weapon and assault in the presence of a minor. Of the assault cases, four were dismissed and one received suspended sentencing. Of the dismissals, one was refiled as a misdemeanor and one defendant died.
• Crimes against Children — Of the 49 people charged, seven were charged with felony crimes against children. This category includes child abuse by injury, child endangerment and omitting to provide for a minor child. Of these cases, three are still pending and three were dismissed, one of which was refiled as a misdemeanor. One defendant was ordered to complete drug court.
• Firearm — Of the 49 people charged, one was charged with a felony firearm count and the defendant received suspended sentencing.
• Sex Crimes — Of the 49 people charged, two were charged with felony sex crimes, including both first and second degree rape. Both cases were dismissed.
• Property Assault — Of the 49 people charged, one was charged with malicious injury to property valued more than $1,000. This case was dismissed.