From submitted reports
The Oklahoma Department of Public Safety has issued the following advisory for driving in winter weather.
During snow and/or ice conditions, motorists are asked to:
• Check road conditions before getting out on the roads.
• Stay at least 200 feet behind road-clearing equipment; crews need room to maneuver and can engage plowing or spreading materials without notice.
• Allow extra space between vehicles, so there is adequate distance for braking in wet and icy conditions.
• Be aware of “black ice,” which looks wet on the roadway, but is actually a thin layer of ice.
• Please be patient, plan trips ahead and allow extra time to reach destinations
In addition, the DPS said drivers in Oklahoma can phone the following number to check on highway conditions in the state: 888-425-2385.
Other numbers in nearby states to check road conditions include:
• Arkansas — 800-245-1672
• Colorado — 303-639-1111
• Kansas — 866-511-5368
• Missouri — 800-222-6400
• New Mexico — 800-432-4269
• Texas — 800-452-9292