By Rachel Petersen
During the month of January, there were 55 felony cases filed at the Pittsburg County Courthouse. Since multiple people can be charged in a single case, there were 64 people charged with felony counts in those 55 cases. Since the January 2013 cases were recently filed, statistics on case outcome could not be obtained as the majority of the cases are still pending.
The Breakdown - January 2013
• Drug and/or Alcohol — Of the 64 people charged with felony counts, 27 were charged with drug or alcohol- related charges. This category includes driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, possession of drugs, drug theft, manufacturing or cultivating drugs, bringing drugs into a jail or prison, distribution of drugs and maintaining a place for keeping /selling drugs.
• Theft — Of the 64 people charged, 22 were charged with theft. This category includes grand larceny, drug theft, automobile theft, concealing stolen property, embezzlement, bogus check charges and forgery.
• Burglary and Robbery — Of the 64 people charged, 11 were charged with burglary or robbery. This category includes both first and second degree burglary as well as various levels of robbery.
• Assault — Of the 64 people charged, seven were charged with assault. This category includes domestic assault and battery, assault on a police officer, aggravated assault and assault in the presence of minors.
• Firearm —Of the 64 people charged, four had firearm- related charges. Three of the four people charged with firearm felony counts were also charged with drug-related felony counts. The fourth had a firearm felony charge along with an assault charge.
• Malicious Property Injury — Of the 64 people charged, two faced felony counts of malicious injury to property. One of those two also faced a felony theft charge in the case.
• Sex Crimes — Of the 64 people charged, two faced sex crime charges. One was charged with sexual battery while the other was charged with failing to register as a sex offender.
• Child Endangerment — Of the 64 people charged, one person faced a felony child endangerment charge along with a DUI felony charge.
Last Year’s Breakdown - January 2012
These cases can be compared to felony filings in January 2012. There were 43 felony cases filed in January 2012. In those 43 cases, 47 people were charged with one or more felony counts.
• Drug and/or Alcohol — Of the 47 people charged with felony counts in January 2013, 29 were charged with drug or alcohol- related charges.
• Theft — Of the 47 people charged, five were charged with theft. This category includes grand larceny, forgery, knowingly concealing stolen property and embezzlement.
• Burglary — Of the 47 people charged, three were charged with felony burglary.
• Assault — Of the 47 people charged, seven were charged with felony assault charges.
• Firearm — Of the 47 people charged, four were charged with a felony firearm count. This category includes felon in the possession of a firearm, possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony and feloniously pointing a firearm.
• Conspiracy — Of the 47 people charged, four were charged with felony conspiracy.
• Explosives — Of the 47 people charged, one was charged with an explosives felony.
The Outcome - January 2013
The News-Capital checked the final outcome of the felony case filings for January 2013 and here is what was found:
• There were 21 felony charges and/or cases dismissed. Four of those dismissals occurred after the cases were refiled as misdemeanors. And one of the cases, the explosives case, was dismissed because the person was charged federally. In that federal case, the man pleaded guilty and received a 78-month federal prison sentence. Of the remaining 16 felonies dismissed, four were assault cases, five were drug and/or alcohol cases, three were conspiracy cases, two were firearm cases, one was a burglary and one was theft.
• There were 15 felony charges or cases that defendants pleaded guilty or no contest and sentencing was deferred. Of these cases, three were burglary, three were theft, one was assault and the rest were drug and/or alcohol- related.
• There were nine felony charges or cases that defendants pleaded guilty or no contest and received suspended sentencing. Of these cases, two were firearm, one was theft and the rest were drug or alcohol related.
• There were three felony charges or cases that defendants pleaded guilty and received prison time. Two of those people were sentenced to five years and one was sentenced to 10 years. All three of those cases involved drug or alcohol- related felony charges.
• In two of the cases, the defendants pleaded guilty and were sentenced to District 18 Drug Court. Upon successful completion of drug court, the cases will be dismissed. However, if drug court is not successfully completed, the defendants will be sentenced to prison time.
• Two of the felony cases from January 2013 are still pending. Both are drug and/or alcohol- related cases.
Information on felony case filings in Pittsburg County District Court is public record and can be obtained at the courthouse at 122 E. Carl Albert Parkway in McAlester.
Contact Rachel Petersen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more on this story, see the print or electronic editions of the McAlester News-Capital. Click here for print edition home delivery or click here to see the Smart Edition for your computer, tablet, e-reader or smart phone.