By Rachel Petersen
The McAlester Fire Department responded to a trailer fire on West Creek Avenue in McAlester on Sunday afternoon.
The property owner, Robert Gillispie, said he was building fence around the trailer when the grass caught fire. “I was using a gas saw,” Gillispie told the News-Capital while watching firemen work to squelch the flames. “Sparks caught the grass on fire and it spread to the trailer. As soon as I got the grass out, the trailer engulfed and I realized that I ought to call the fire department.”
McAlester Fire Chief Brett Brewer said the call came it at 2:46 p.m. and first responders arrived on the scene just minutes later. MFD responded with three engines, a ladder truck and seven firefighters.
“A guy was cutting some metal, which caught the grass on fire, which spread and caught his travel trailer on fire,” Brewer said.
No injuries were reported as a result of the fire, Brewer said, but the trailer is considered a total loss.
Contact Rachel Petersen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more on this story, see the print or electronic editions of the McAlester News-Capital. Click here for print edition home delivery or click here to see the Smart Edition for your computer, tablet, e-reader or smart phone.