Races were shaping up for school board seats in several school districts in Pittsburg County as the mid-point in the three-day candidate filing period passed on Tuesday afternoon.
More than one candidate filed for open school board seats in the Hartshorne, Haileyville, Kiowa and Pittsburg School districts as the second day of the three-day filing period neared its end. The candidate filing period was set to extend through 5 p.m. Wednesday at the Pittsburg County Election Board Office in McAlester.
Only one candidate had filed for an open seat in the McAlester Public Schools District. Brenda Calahan, a longtime teacher at MPS, filed for Office No. 3 on the MPS Board of Education.
Other school districts where more then one person had filed for an open school board seat, and the candidates who filed include:
• Hartshorne — Brandon J. Budzinsky and Thomas Griopando both filed for Office No. 3.
• Haileyville — C. Devin Lopez and Travis Lee Shamasco are vying for Office No. 3 in the Haileyville School District.
• Kiowa — Both John Allen and Karla Hall filed for Office No. 3 in the Kiowa School District.
• Pittsburg — Jason Ward and Kanimaya Thomason Schock both filed for an unexpired term in Office No. 2, while Marlene Wilson was the sole candidate to file for Office No. 3
Other school districts where only one candidate had filed for office as of midday Tuesday include:
• Canadian — Orda Selph filed for Office No. 3
• Crowder — Elizabeth Jameson is seeking Office No. 3.
• Frink-Chambers — Brian Lott filed for Office No. 2.
• Haywood — Gregory Beshear is a candidate for Office No. 2.
• Indianola —Gabe Patrick filed for Office No. 3 and Gail Kendrick filed for an unexpired term in Office No. 5.
• Quinton — LouAnn Kneel is seeking Office No. 3
• Savanna — Jimmie D. Davis is running for Office No. 3.
• Tannehill — Gregory D. Vaughn is seeking Office No. 2.
The deadline for candidates to protest the candidacy of one of their opponents or to withdraw as a candidate extends through 5 p.m. on Friday.
Voters will go to the polls to cast ballots in races with more than one candidate on Feb. 13, 2018.
Contact James Beaty at firstname.lastname@example.org