By Rachel Petersen
There are numerous places for Pittsburg County citizens to donate items for the victims in Moore who are suffering from damages caused by recent storms and a large destructive tornado.
Lynn Edwards, director for the Southeastern Oklahoma Chapter of the American Red Cross, said there are drop off stations in McAlester where area-residents can drop off donated items for those in need in Moore.
Red Cross donation drop off stations are at:
• Big V Feeds, 1621 E. Electric Ave.
• Discount Wheel & Tire, 616 S. George Nigh Expressway
• Shared Blessings, 1558 S. Main St.
• Kristen Lloyd, 113 E. Choctaw Ave.
• HealthBack Home Health, 1102 E. Washington Ave.
• Also accepting donations for the victims in Moore is Cavenders, at 528 S. George Nigh Expressway.
The following type of items are needed in Moore and will be accepted as donations at the listed locations:
• Cash donations,
• Bottled water and Gatorade,
• Non-perishable food items,
• Gloves and boots,
• Dust masks,
• Rakes and shovels,
• Trash bags,
• Personal hygiene products -- including but not limited to diapers, wet wipes, deodorant, toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, feminine products).
"Community volunteers will gather these donations and transport them to Moore to the Multi-resource Agency Center," Edwards said. The center is a place where victims can go to find items they need.
"Red Cross has been in the scene since shortly after the tornado hit, providing shelter, food and immediate needs for the victims," Edwards said. "We have now deployed 23 emergency response vehicles with teams that left at daylight this morning. Those teams will go throughout the neighborhoods delivering meals and comfort kits and supplies — such as rakes, shovels, gloves and trash bags — to help people work through the rubble."
Edwards said many partners of the American Red Cross will assist in the cooking and preparation of food while Red Cross staff and volunteers will make the food deliveries.
"In the days to come we will have hundreds of Red Cross staff and volunteers who will manage each family's case work and the needs that arise thereafter."
Contact Rachel Petersen at email@example.com